"It's asking a great deal that things should appeal to your reason as well as your sense of the aesthetic." W. Somerset Maugham, 'Of Human Bondage', 1915 English dramatist & novelist (1874 - 1965)
"Who knows what form the forward momentum of life will take in the time ahead or what use it will make of our anguished searching. The most that any one of us can seem to do is fashion something--an object or ourselves--and drop it into the confusion, make an offering of it, so to speak, to the life force."
Ernest Becker, The Denial of Death

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Parenting

I don't usually say much about parenting--we all do things differently and I'm not one to tell anyone else how to raise their kid (exceptions being any kind of abuse).  But here's a fairly recent article I just read from the UK.  In the article, the author brings up a book by Judith Rich Harris I read when it came out 10 years ago.  I've read and re-read this book and I highly, highly recommend this book to everyone (not just parents).

Regardless of how you feel after reading the book, it will make you think, not just about your kids, if you have them, but about your parents and friends and how you were raised.

I buy into the premise of the book very much so.  My college minor was sociology and I've done a lot of reading in this subject as well as psychology and social psychology and Judith Rich Harris' book is the only book that both ties all the pieces together but explains the gaps and contradictions I've always encountered in both subject matters.

Here is her website.  There are lots of links and articles to read, lots of opinions. Again, I highly recommend her book above most all books I've ever read--and her writing is very accessible with a good sense of humor.  And that's all I've got to say about parenting.

No comments: