"It's asking a great deal that things should appeal to your reason as well as your sense of the aesthetic." W. Somerset Maugham, 'Of Human Bondage', 1915 English dramatist & novelist (1874 - 1965)
"Who knows what form the forward momentum of life will take in the time ahead or what use it will make of our anguished searching. The most that any one of us can seem to do is fashion something--an object or ourselves--and drop it into the confusion, make an offering of it, so to speak, to the life force."
Ernest Becker, The Denial of Death

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Music: 51st Grammys

Rant. I'll now admit I'm getting old and crotchety about my music.  I made it into the 90s with Pearl Jam/Soundgarden et al...  However, the 00s haven't been very fruitful.

So, in my cruise through iTunes looking for new music (as I received an iTunes card for xmas), I came across the nominee list for the 51st Grammys.  The male/female pop category has always sucked.  But take a look at the other categories; does this just confirm my view that there's nothing new worth listening to?  Look at all the old timers, good God, even Motley Crue.  Even that crappy Eagles album has been nominated.

Now, in my defense, in my trolling for new music, I did come across a few bands who had a handful of decent songs: Shinedown, Egypt Central, Deepfield, Thriving Ivory, Pop Evil, Midnight to Twelve.  Not that I'd buy their entire CDs but a song here and there. So, I'd like to think I'm somewhat open minded to what's happening in today's music.

But this one thing I must be said, compelled yet again am I; Coldplay SUCKS.  I don't understand it; how is it anyone thinks that crap is any good?  They just plain suck.  I know I'll catch hell but...it must be stated.

The only solace I have in all this is that an old friend, along with his brother, have educated his son in music the likes of Led Zep and Gov't Mule.

No comments: