"It's asking a great deal that things should appeal to your reason as well as your sense of the aesthetic." W. Somerset Maugham, 'Of Human Bondage', 1915 English dramatist & novelist (1874 - 1965)
"Who knows what form the forward momentum of life will take in the time ahead or what use it will make of our anguished searching. The most that any one of us can seem to do is fashion something--an object or ourselves--and drop it into the confusion, make an offering of it, so to speak, to the life force."
Ernest Becker, The Denial of Death

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Music: Retrospection

Basically, I'm a 70s AOR (that's Album Oriented Rock for you kids) kind of guy when it comes to music.  Not to say I don't listen to other types of music or other "times" but as a generalization, this description works.  So, yes, I'll listen to everything from Pearl Jam to Enya, lots of classical or jazz when in the mood etc...I hated the 80s music, the 90s was better, but today, I don't know it all sounds the same to me.  Coldplay does nothing for me--and it all sounds like that.  

I also have a penchant for lesser known bands and songs of the day: Tarney Spencer Band, Diesel, Sniff 'n' the Tears, Animal Logic, the Babys, Manfred Mann's Earth Band et al...

It's because of this that I don't listen to the radio and now that I've an iPod shuffle (the kids get the good stuff, even though their taste in music sucks and they only have like 10 songs to load on 30 gigs), I just plug this into the car radio and never have to listen to anything I don't like.  [Back in Jersey, I'd listen mostly to WDHA, the Jersey rock station instead of the NY stations--I met Kathy Millar once--she was very good looking.]  Now, I rely on iTunes to find out about anything new.

But this all makes me wonder: have I reached musical arrested development?  Am I incapable of liking today's music?  Though I have noticed that women seem better than men at keeping up with the day's music as time goes on.  Ah, well I guess I'll just keep listening to Donnie Iris again...{future music posts: old guys, dead guys and what the hell happened to Rod Stewart--what a waist}

No comments: