"It's asking a great deal that things should appeal to your reason as well as your sense of the aesthetic." W. Somerset Maugham, 'Of Human Bondage', 1915 English dramatist & novelist (1874 - 1965)
"Who knows what form the forward momentum of life will take in the time ahead or what use it will make of our anguished searching. The most that any one of us can seem to do is fashion something--an object or ourselves--and drop it into the confusion, make an offering of it, so to speak, to the life force."
Ernest Becker, The Denial of Death

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Meds

An old, recently reconnected friend has a post on his blog about how a nurse was surprised when asked what medications he was on and he said none. Pete is a runner so is probably in fairly good shape in his middle age of 44.

I turn 44 very soon. Between the ages of 39 and 41 my cholesterol fluctuated up and down based, a little on diet, but mostly on my various attempts to start and maintain an exercise regiment.

At 42, my blood pressure at work would rise and just wipe me out. All told, according to my doctor, this, along with the cholesterol, was a genetic problem. Now, this was hard to swallow. My father had a debilitating stroke 11 yrs earlier--but he smoked since a teenager, drank consistently (until the point of full blown alcoholism) and ate whatever he wanted to. So, I saw his problems as self induced and mine shouldn't be.

Today, I'm convinced I could at least control my cholesterol with some level of consistent exercise. Blood pressure, we'd have to see.

But the reason my friend's nurse was surprised is that so many men our age are on at least one if not both of these medicines. Good for Pete that he is not.

Then, last year, I worked my way onto Cymbalta and that has had a very large effect on my life, but that is for another post.

So, here I am, middle-aged and counting pills--but thanks to Cymbalta, no worries...

No comments: