"It's asking a great deal that things should appeal to your reason as well as your sense of the aesthetic." W. Somerset Maugham, 'Of Human Bondage', 1915 English dramatist & novelist (1874 - 1965)
"Who knows what form the forward momentum of life will take in the time ahead or what use it will make of our anguished searching. The most that any one of us can seem to do is fashion something--an object or ourselves--and drop it into the confusion, make an offering of it, so to speak, to the life force."
Ernest Becker, The Denial of Death

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Snoring

If you snore, I highly suggest you get yourself tested for sleep apnea. Finally, after all these years I'll be hitting my sleep test next week which is more a formality for the insurance company as I feel 100% I suffer from sleep apnea.

So, what was the tipping point for going to see the ENT? Memory loss. Over the last 6 months or so I've found an increasing inability to focus and would find myself entering a room forgetting what I was going in there to do or get.

At 42, I went on both cholesterol and high blood pressure medicine. The cholesterol I had at least noticed could be controlled by exercise. However, I also found that no matter how hard I tried, I just seemed to lack the energy to get started which is both another consequence of sleep apnea and a wonderful conundrum: need to exercise in order to get my energy up but couldn't get the energy to start exercising.

I had a huge problem accepting the blood pressure issue. I felt my father's stroke 12 yrs ago was self inflicted with eating unhealthy, smoking and drinking since he was a teenager. My PC physician, after monitoring determined it's probably hereditary. However, now that I know more about sleep apnea perhaps it's not hereditary after all.

Now, I've recently read about the memory loss issue. Not cool. So, if you snore...get checked out....

No comments: