"It's asking a great deal that things should appeal to your reason as well as your sense of the aesthetic." W. Somerset Maugham, 'Of Human Bondage', 1915 English dramatist & novelist (1874 - 1965)
"Who knows what form the forward momentum of life will take in the time ahead or what use it will make of our anguished searching. The most that any one of us can seem to do is fashion something--an object or ourselves--and drop it into the confusion, make an offering of it, so to speak, to the life force."
Ernest Becker, The Denial of Death

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Deepest Desires

Deep down, I think we all have this secret deep desire of what we wish we could do or be. Maybe we daydream about it and many times these are desires that just aren't going to happen due to any number of real limitations, not limitations such as laziness, fear etc...

Here's mine:
I wish I could be a rock singer and guitar player/multi-instrumentalist and had a band made up of great friends, men and women, and we played all the songs I like to a crowd full of other people I know. And one of the members of the band is a beautiful woman who is my wife.

Ah, well, I can't sing a lick, don't have a very good ear but do have a sense of rhythm and played drums for a number of years...until the kids came. I'll probably get another set after they leave the roost. But, I do have a beautiful wife.

What's your deepest desire?

No comments: